How will you know if your backlinks are truly adding value? Should you really still be putting a lot of effort in quantity as opposed to quality links?
Here are tips, benefits, and how to assess your your link building strategy.
Why is SEO important?
Before we dig into assessing your campaign, let us review SEO, and why we need to build an effective and stable strategy.
The Internet is the most accessible way to find answers to any questions that people may ask. And for you to have the best-related answer, you have to click the top result in the search engine results page, SERP.
That is how SEO works. Search engines rank websites that offer the most relevant content to the search query.
SEO strategy offers an inbound traffic approach as opposed to a traditional marketing strategy which has interruptions and somewhat force to gain leads.
SEO targets an audience that takes an initiative to know more about your product or service.
SEO is cost-effective and efficient as you consequently produce good results without incurring hefty costs in promoting your product or service.
Build a good link building strategy.
Establishing a good and stable link building strategy makes you earn more fruitful results in the long run. The results of your campaign may be noticeable in the medium to long term.
What are the impacts of having a good link building foundation?
Build quality links which will give your company better credibility. This is a good indicator of your website domain’s authority. The more authoritative a website, the more quality links will direct to your website.
Links help you with your ranking
Google uses links to rank up your website. Links are essential to Google. Without link building, it is impossible to rank your site even if you have well-composed content. For you to be on top, have more quality links than your competitors.
Increase your website traffic
Link building is one of many ways to lure audiences. Choosing the right and relevant audiences to link from, will improve your website traffic. Website traffic is the number of visitors to your website.
If you have good website traffic, it surely implies your backlinking efforts are working.
SEO pulls other site metrics
Establishing link building will not just result in high web traffic but also will hit other metrics like your Domain Authority (DA), Domain Rating (DR), Page Rank (PR), Alexa Rank, and many more.
Hitting your metrics will lead you to a successful campaign.Sales opportunities
There are more sales opportunities for your product or service. Being ranked above the fold in SERPs gives you more visibility to potential customers.
visibility increases the click through rate on your webpage which inturn increases your business conversions.
Increase your brand exposure.
By engaging with an online audience through social media portals, your brand can easily get new inbound links.
Social research and reach out to potential power users that are fans of your company on your Facebook fan page, company Twitter account, or other social assets. This will in turn expose your brand to those in the same circle.
Good and Bad links
How will I know if links are good or bad? What will be the result of having a bad link?
SEO will show how links are necessary for your campaign and why you need it. Quality links are not easy to get. Remember, the harder it is to get one, the more valuable it is likely to be.
Checklist for good quality links
- Links from websites with real organic traffic
- Links from sites which have good amount of rankings keywords
- The referring domain has a good domain rating
- The referring site is HTTPS secure
- Links from sites which are mobile friendly and load fast
- Links from complementary and relevant industries
- A natural mix of anchor text
- Using exact match keywords naturally and not too often
- A backlink that flows naturally in the content
- Links from websites which are not spammy and low quality
- Backlinks from websites which do not have too much advertising and pop ups
- Backlinks from relevant web pages
- Links from trustworthy websites
What makes a bad link? Here are the examples:
- Links from link directories with no value content
- Links that are associated with explicit content or unethical practices.
- Links from irrelevant websites
- There are too many links in the body of content. It can distract the main links.
- Broken links or 404 links
- Unnatural links
- Global links that connect to your website.
- Links from a low Domain Authority website
- Links from a thin content page or low-quality content
- Backlinks from penalized website
Assessing your Backlinks
You can always use a different SEO tool to know if you are dealing with a good or bad link. Here are some tools that can help your assessment process much simpler.
Conduct your assessment.
Ahref is one of the SEO tools you can use to conduct an assessment. You can follow these steps to check if your backlink is good or not.
- Create and log in to Ahref
- Do a simple analysis using site explorer. You can use both prefix and domain under dropbox.
- Compare your backlink profile. It will show you the result of Backlinks and Referring links.
- Check your Backlink acquisition rate. The graph will let you know the historical profile of your backlinks over time.
- Look for wasted backlinks to your site. Check your Referring domain as well as 404 not found pages.
- Review the full report. Take immediate actions to fix sites.
It is not easy to conduct a backlink assessment. However, Often doing it, you will learn a lot and might discover new techniques.
Dofollow and Nofollow links
Links are references of data where users follow by clicking. It is the essential key in Link building.
There are two kinds of links: Dofollow and Nofollow links. What makes them different from each other?
Dofollow links are an HTML property used to allow search bots to follow the links.
If a webmaster created a link connected to your site, the search engine bots and people who visit the site can follow you. It makes your website credible.
Google can figure out the number of users linked to your website. This way, Google can identify which website is good and not. The more Dofollow links, the more points you will earn to be on top rank.
Dofollow links will help you to increase your ranking, earn points, and raise your link juice. Those will help you to get your website highly ranked in SERP. However, gaining a follow link from a reputable website is more fruitful.
H3 Nofollow links
On the other hand, Nofollow links do not allow search engine bots to follow your links. And this link does not pass on link juice for your website. However, It can help you to increase your website traffic.
Nofollow links will not harm your website if you want to use them. They help to boost PR for your page. But it depends on where the link is and the quality of it. It is best to place it at the beginning of the content as it gives impact and emphasis to it.
How to identify a link type
- On the web page, right-click and select the view source. In the source code, find your site name and comments. You can now tell what type of link is there.
- You can download useful extensions for your browser to check whether it is Dofollow or Nofollow.
Google 2020 update for Nofollow links
Before, Nofollow links used to be a command. Currently, it is a recommendation. Google considers Nofollow as necessary. It gives links credit, identifies them as spam, or uses them for several ranking purposes.
The update included:
- Nofollow links are not for rankings or indexing.
- Nofollow links are used as hints for ranking a website as of September 10, 2020.
As of March 2, 2020, Google uses Nofollow links as a hint for crawling.
Benefits of links
Any link will help you to get traffic for your website. Quality links are your pathways to show your content.
Also, it can give you a better amount of traffic. The more traffic you get, the more benefits you can get from it.
Some links will allow you to get a better conversion, sales lead, and even a Dofollow link.
Ways to build high-quality backlinks
Building quality links for your campaign is not that simple. It will take effort and time investment to earn a better result. Here are some ways to help you build quality backlinks.
Build public relations.
Establishing a relationship with the audience will help you produce backlinks. Joining groups and communities related to your niche will give your website exposure. Guest blogging is also a better way of earning backlinks.
Write well-structured content.
A well-composed content is your key to generating backlinks. Content should be pleasing and compelling to the readers. Also, it should be lively by use of infographics or related photos. In that way, you may help the readers understand your message.
Study your competitors.
It is not spying on your competitors but to give you an idea of how backlinks work. Studying the techniques will help you decide which field you should work on more.
Most of the people prefer to look at a summary. Creating infographics for your website will help the audience to understand your message in a single sight. You can add a link to your infographic connecting to your website.
Product/Service reviews or Testimonies will give your website credibility and trust. Somehow, it allows you to increase the number of prospective customers. You may include your website to generate links.
Engage with a relevant blog post.
It is another better way to build a relationship. Commenting on a blog post will help you in the future. They might help you to share or promote your website. They may be your instrument to gain more traffic and increase your brand awareness.
Create your Social Media account.
People spend more time on their social media account. Therefore, it is a better medium to promote and expose your business. Visibility will help you earn more traffic and backlinks.
Whitehat Link building
You might read and hear the word white hat link building. It is the approach of giving the website more traffic through search engine optimization (SEO) techniques.
It includes SEO methods with positive strategies for increasing traffic and an audience in a natural way. White Link building follows the rules established by search engines like Google.
Using the white link building allows you to flow your ranking smoothly without the feeling of worry. Websites get penalized if they did not follow the rule.
What is the importance of White Link building?
What does a white hat SEO do with your backlinks? It has a lot to do with your backlinks. Everyone will benefit from using the White hat SEO.
Google encourages people to use the Search engine to look for answers in a quick snap. Here are some advantages you can get from using White link building.
- It can improve your rankings. Following best practices will give you a good result. Best practices like matching keywords to your landing page, writing good content, and receiving quality backlinks will increase your SERPs ranking.
- Cost-effective marketing strategy. White hat SEO saves you money in the long term. Running a Digital marketing campaign requires investment both time and money. The result will not show immediately.
- Prepare your site for updates. As time passes by, we do not know what Google’s next big update will be. But keep in mind that Google always aims to provide the best customer experience.
Ignoring White Hat SEO
What will happen if you ignore the White Link building? Your business might suffer or lose. All of your time and investment in building your backlinks will be useless. That is something that we do not want to happen.
Black hat SEO
People use Black hat SEO tactics for their website to achieve the result in a short period. They ignore the rules and guidelines for building quality links.
It is very tempting for some that do Black hat SEO since you do not have to wait for years to see the results.
However, you might get penalized.
Google algorithm update has ways to determine these actions. Here are some techniques you should not use:
- Duplicate content. Aside from Plagiarism, having the same content is not a good practice.
- Irrelevant or meangless content. These contents are not helping the audience and will lead to a high bounce rate.
- Keyword stuffing. It is considered web spam and not advisable to use.
- Spamming links is posting out-of-context links everywhere like websites, discussion forums, and blog comments. It can harm your website.
- Irrelevant landing pages. It is to make the page rank, but the keywords do not match or are irrelevant.
- Hidden text is a text displayed in such a way as to be invisible or unreadable. It manipulates Google’s search rankings and recognizes them as spam.
There is no such shortcut in every success. Building a business yields overtime. At the same time, you are establishing characters like credibility, reputation, and trust.
Do not try the black hat practices. Google can crumble all of your time and effort in a few minutes. You can try the following best practices to include in your campaign.
- Build a relevant landing page and keywords
- Compose content that is helpful and unique
- Seek out backlinks from reliable sites only
- Know your audience and what they need
- Stay updated with Google’s guidelines and updates
Following Google’s guidelines will not harm you but will help everyone grow and benefit from it.
Content and Backlinks
As you notice, content always drops in every backlink topic. What is their connection? In acquiring quality links, you need a full stuffed article or content that will satisfy the audience.
Content Relevance and its usefulness
Content is your linking relationship to your audience. If your content gives the information that your audience wants, it builds trust. Trust from your audiences makes your site gain credibility.
Content relevance is about your audience’s understanding of your content. Also, it is how the web user finds the content.
In SERPs priority is given to content that is informative, engaging, and helpful to the search intent.
Always remember that users who visit your site have one goal. It is to learn something about that keyword.
What can SEO metrics tell you about your backlinks.
SEO metrics are your guidelines to measure your campaign progress. Also, metrics used to compare and track performances. Here are some of the SEO metrics that you need to monitor.
Organic traffic is those visitors from a search engine like Google that you attract without an advertisement.
It is one of the powerful indicators of backlink performance. An increase in website visitors will result in improving your ranking. The quality of search traffic will depend on keywords.
How to track Organic traffic
SEO tools make our work simple and effective. There are platforms for managing backlinks. One of the tools that you can use is Google Analytics.
For tracking your Organic traffic using Google analytics:
- Log into your dashboard.
- Then click ”Add segment.”
- Choose ”Organic traffic” and hit ”Apply.”
- You will see organic traffic as a percentage of total traffic.
Next is to monitor how many of those visitors will turn into leads? You may include the following goals to track, identifying which visitors are leads.
- Email signups
- Phone call inquiries
- Form submissions queries
Knowing what the visitor’s intention is, you can help them decide by highlighting what they can get from your product or service.
How to track your Conversion rate
Conversion rate is the percentage of website visitors converted to become lead. To track your Conversion rate using Google analytics:
- You need to set up your Goals
- Add the organic sessions segment to see organic metrics.
- Navigate down to Conversions -> Goal Overview.
The search engine will show a list for that keyword search when an audience searches for a specific keyword. Keyword rankings give you more than information on your domain’s performance.
How to track your keyword rankings
You can track and analyze your keyword ranking using Keyword Explorer.
- Paste in your website URL into Keyword Explorer
- Choose the country where your audience is
- Hit the ”Analyze” button
- You will see the result of Top Ranking Keywords.
- On the left panel, Click Ranking Keywords to view more keywords.
- You will see all the keywords your site is ranking.
- You can add your competitors to see how you’re doing against them.
One of the indicators to show if your SEO is working, is the number of your backlinks. Tracking your backlinks and referring domains will get you an idea of how effective your strategy is.
You can use SEMrush to check your Referring Domains:
- By clicking the number in the ‘Backlinks’ column next to a specific anchor, you will see the referring domain.
- You can check the ‘Backlinks’ report and see a complete list of backlinks used as anchor text.
You might hear the familiar word ”Domain Authority”. It is how they determine the trustworthiness of a site.
Websites scaled from f 0-100 based on links, brand mentions, etc. The higher the site’s DA, the more authoritative it is. You can use Moz or Ahrefs to check the DA of a specific website.
Organic landing page
If you are working to improve your backlink, you may consider your landing page. It is the destination page that appears in response to clicking a result in SERPs.
Tracking your landing page will help you to discover more opportunities for your campaign.
How to track your organic landing page
You can use a Google Analytics account for this:
- Log on to your Google Analytics account.
- Go to “Behavior” > “Site Content” > “Landing Pages”
Audiences look for a website with a page that pops out the page in a flash rather than waiting. If they might think that the page is not working. You can lose that opportunity.
Page speed is essential to users because it becomes the first impression of the user. That is the first experience that you can offer to the users.
Don’t confuse ”site speed” and Page Speed. On the other hand, Site speed is how quickly users can see and interact with your site’s content.
How to track your page speed
Google’s PageSpeed Insights tool is one of the tools you can use to monitor your page speed. Also, it gives suggestions and improvements that you can follow.
DNS Errors and Server errors are an example of site crawls errors that hinder your website ranking up. If you encounter crawl errors, fix them ahead of time.
How to track Crawl error
You can use the Google search console to check if you have crawl errors.
It is good practice to include checking crawl errors in your site’s maintenance schedule to avoid further damage.
As days and years pass by, SEO is getting complicated in assessing and measuring success. It takes persistence and creativity, the results will follow.
But always remember that any strategy or plan executed for development is an advantage. Time and patience are the most effective investments in digital marketing.