People drown browsing on the internet. You can go schooling, conduct research, watch a movie, almost anything under the sun, especially shopping. Shopping online is one of the most visited websites around the world. People find online stores more convenient in many ways.
It offers the same service or product as in the physical store. Any buying and selling activity online is considered as e-commerce.
eCommerce is the selling and buying services or products online. Taking advantage of the internet and selling online is the easiest way to market a product or service.
You might wonder how small and big businesses start, considering that the internet is too broad. eCcommerce uses SEO to maximize the benefit of the internet. As go through this post, we share with you guides, techniques and all the best SEO link building strategies for eCommerce businesses.
Before we jump into techniques and strategies, let’s begin with a short brief of how e-commerce started.
The beginning of eCommerce
Electronic commerce, eCommerce, or e-commerce is buying and selling of goods and services using the internet and this includes maintaining good relationships with people or stakeholders associated with it electronically.
eCommerce started in Berlin between 1948-1949 via telex. It was an exchange of sales invoices and orders. In 1975, Berlin established the first general standard for eCommerce. They proved that the computer exchange business system can handle most simple business transactions.
In 1991, in the adaptation of the internet and the birth of the World Wide Web. Overtime, businesses began to shift to eCommerce to date. eCommerce has an enormous impact on our daily life. Today, it covers a lot of industries like Education, Finance and more.
eCommerce and SEO
How is eCommerce and SEO related to each other? In the simplest term, eCommerce is the exact business established on the internet. On the other hand, SEO is a strategy that eCommerce businesses deploy to achieve business goals.
SEO and Link building relation
Link building has a massive part in SEO. Building links is one of the strategies of SEO. Google uses links to check if your site is a better resource for relevant data. The more quality links a site has, the higher the rank in SERPs.
How it works?
eCommerce SEO is the technique used to make your online store noticeable to the audience. It makes your eCommerce website rank when people look for your product in SERPs, they can find you easily. You can also consider how to link websites together for your audience.
Being on the top rank website in Search Engines like Google, will help you earn more visitors to click on your website. Website traffic is your website visitors that can be your prospective customers. Therefore, the more visible and exposed your website, the more you are likely to gain sales.
Why do I need SEO for my eCommerce business?
Most people research the product or service they are planning to buy. They look for tips, advantages, options, and other information that help them to decide.
If your website is not easy to find, you might lose the opportunity of getting sales. Even if you offer the best product or service that people need. It is useless if they can’t reach your website.
SEO gives you a path for your audience to get what they want in a single click. Especially ranking your website, you can outsmart your competitors.
Plan your eCommerce strategy
It is easier for everyone to cope with a new strategy if there is a checklist or best practices following. eCommerce Strategy may sound broad, especially to beginners. Building links takes time to notice the effect, but you can do something that can lift the process.
- Start to build your page. Prioritise your page. It is where the sales start. Your page should offer the best customer experience where they can easily find what they need. You can start by highlighting your flagship item.
- Make a workflow. You will encounter a lot of requirements to meet in SEO. Creating a sequence of the task will help you know what comes first. It includes choosing your keyword, metadata and more.
- Your link building strategy should aim to outplay your competitors. Checking your top competitors does not mean you are spying but comparing and thinking of better plans.
eCommerce Website Checklist
Creating a checklist for your task will help you lessen failure and give you an image of the outcome. Your eCommerce checklist will help you to ensure the consistency and completeness of your campaign. Here are some ways to optimize your website that you may include on your eCommerce checklist.
1. Think of a Perfect SEO Title
Being unique and creative will give your audience an impression of originality. Your product or service will optimize by your chosen title. This title needs to be catchy and attractive to the eyes of your audience. Below are the best practices you can follow in creating titles for your eCommerce website:
- The title is less than 60 characters.
- You can use your website brand for your title.
- If possible, use Free shipping in the title.
- Create a title that starts with the most relevant term to your product and ends with your product. For example, ”Natural fermented milk – cultured milk seller.”
- You can add or use action words on your title like ”online” or ”buy.”
2. Image and Video Optimization
Videos and Images are elements that catch the attention of the audience without browsing the whole website. Here are some tips you may include to optimise your image and video on your website.
- Use relevant and proper Alt Text.
- The image file name should be correct.
- Decrease your image and video size. There are a lot of tools that you can use to optimise it in an instance.
- You need to use embedded code for videos. So it will not affect your site’s speed performance.
- Include all your meta descriptions in your video. It can influence your audience’s decision to view or click it.
3. Improve your website page loading time
The first impression lasts. Therefore, the first customer experience begins in loading your site page. The best loading page time is around 2-3 seconds, but most eCommerce sites run between 5-6 seconds.
The following practices will help you to decrease your site loading time:
- Lessen your redirects like 302 and Meta Refresh.
- Optimize your Image and Video
- Upload videos from an external source.
- Minimize HTTP requests.
- Turn on your browser caching.
- Get better Hosting and CDN service.
- Avoid or lessen extra Plugins on your cms.
- Lessen the update or development of your website page resources.
4. Write an attractive and informative content
Content helps the audience with the information they need. Google is strict when it comes to duplicate content. Efforts to rank your page above the fold in SERP takes effort and time.
Following the guidelines will not harm you but will help you to grow. Copied content is one of the main negative issues of eCommerce businesses. Try to write unique content for your product description. It will help both you and the audience.
5. Keep your site simple
Keeping your site structure simple makes everyone adopt it comfortably. It helps your audience to perceive the message of the website. Also, search engine crawlers will find it easy to check the index of the website.
6. Properly structured data
Properly structured data will help you in your success. There are a lot of benefits that lie in well-structured data.
- It can increase your Conversion Optimization.
- Improve your CTR ( Click-through rate )
- Boost your indirect SERP.
- Lessen your website bounce rate.
- Increase your audience engagement.
Most people prefer to click on search results that they think can help them. Snippets appear appealing to the audience. Snippets are text inserted into the web page. Also, helping prospective customers to gather the information they want to know about the product or service. Most eCommerce sites use snippets.
These are the rich snippets commonly used in eCommerce products or services:
- The name of the product or service
- The product or service rating
- The currency
- Shipping process
- The price of the product or service
- The colour available
- Size Availability, and many more.
You can also use Schema markup to make your product description more informative in results for your audience.
7. Use HTTPs
Google advises websites to switch to HTTPS. It makes the website secure for eCommerce websites. Moreover, website security is one of the concerns of customers shopping online.
Customers are having second thoughts whenever they need to provide their payment details. To protect your website, you need to install an SSL certificate. There are a lot of hosting service providers suggesting installing this feature to protect their customers.
8. Mobile-friendly website
In 2016, Google started AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) for eCommerce websites. Besides, it is to make mobile browsing faster. Creating your store’s Mobile-friendly page will give your users access across different platforms and devices.
9. Guest posting
Guest posting is an impressive tool to earn quality backlinks. It is a significant way for eCommerce websites to increase their authority.
Start your guest posting by looking for a high authority website within your industry. Create a list for your record and offer them a quality guest post.
10. Optimize your section pages with keywords.
In a grocery store set up, sections help customers to easily find their needs. Also, it provides varieties and options for their choice.
Similarly, for your website, optimize different products or service categories or sections of a page with relevant keywords. Keywords can help your website to send your audience directly to the exact page of their search keyword. In this way, your pages can rank high on both the category page and product page.
Here are the essential things to optimize your section or category page:
- Include the keyword in your image Alt text
- Include your keyword in the file name
- Your headings must include your keyword, especially in H1.
- Incorporate your keyword in your page summary.
- Place your keyword to your page title.
Best tips for an effective eCommerce strategy
A strategy is your general plan to achieve one or more goals. Marketer’s first goal is to find out how their audience will easily find their product or service. eCommerce strategy will help you to widen and achieve your objectives in smarter ways. Here are the best practices you can follow to achieve your goals.
H3 Step 1. Use the correct keywords
Include your keyword to your Product Title, Product Description, Meta Description, Image attributes and Subheadings. As mentioned above, the proper use of a keyword will direct your audience to the exact page they want.
Research about your keyword before you use it. Identify how frequent people look for your keyword. Check how competitive the keyword is in terms of CPC (cost-per-click). Know the reason why people look for that keyword.
Let’s break down the details into smaller details.
The search volume of the keywords tells the demand and the trend of the customers. A high search volume of a specific keyword means you will get a bunch of clicks.
Cost per click or Pay per click is a paid advertising term where the advertiser pays the publisher for every ad that gets clicks. Search engines and social media platforms have CPC data showing the cost of user ads.
An improvement in CPC means an increase in competition. It can be a good indicator of positive ROI.
Knowing the user intent will give you hints about the information they want. For example, a customer searches for ”Cakes”.
That customer may be looking for cakes in the local area, It can be ”How to bake a cake”, ”Birthday Cake”, ”Wedding Cake”, or anything related to cake. You can add keywords to determine the exact intent of the user and go even further to optimise for local SEO searches.
Step 2. Research your Competitor.
Checking out how your competitor will give you an idea of where to start. Start to study what strategies and channels are used to promote their service or product. You can learn a lot or do better than them.
One of the main concerns that you should look into is the keyword. Analyze which keyword is used exactly on their homepage and top product pages.
You can use a different tool to check if they optimize a particular keyword on a website. SEMrush can give your competitor’s paid search and organic search ranking.
Also, check for the other pages like the landing page how they optimize it with the keyword.
Step 3. Optimize your Website
A simple home page can encourage visitors to explore the website more. It offers a feeling of comfort and urges them to go deeper in your website.
Optimizing your home page will give you a lot of benefits. Here are some of the benefits you can get from optimizing your homepage well:
- It helps your audience to get the information they want.
- It improves your user experience.
- It allows you to gain more conversions.
- It develops your brand awareness and exposure.
Step 4. Establish backlinks for your eCommerce
Link Building is one of the successful strategies you can hold on to in terms of fruitful results. Most of the eCommerce businesses share one goal : to boost sales. Here are some of the Link Building techniques for your eCommerce website.
- Create Video Marketing content. Videos are visually catchy for the eyes of the audience. They give an option for the audience to gather the information they need. Most eCommerce businesses use Video Marketing content to drive the attention and engagement of the audience. It will result in increased click-through rates.
- Build content assets using Social media Influencers. Millennials are the face of today’s social media. Research says using influencer’s involvement boosts Link building positive results.
- Create content with a shareable feature. Making a feature in your content where the audience shares it to another platform will give you more traffic.
- Create content with product tests. Working with bloggers will give you a spotlight. It will drive your website traffic, audience engagement and backlinks.
- Establish Brand Ambassadors. It is the most effective way to persuade prospective customers. They can spread positive news about your branding. They are the most effective spokesperson for your products.
Most businesses aim for one goal, to be on top of the competition. Building a marketing strategy is not that easy. There are a lot of things to do to keep track. However, with proper execution and knowledge you will be able to achieve your goals.